Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Today's Motivation



I've been having a tough time making my way to my work bench lately so I thought I would pull my paints out today and change things up a bit. It has been 7 years since I graduated with a BFA in painting and I have not touched my paints since, except for the occasional child's bedroom piece. I had many fears about trying to paint again. Mainly "Did I loose what mediocre skills I once had?". The last thing I expected my biggest challenge to be was to simply open my paints after all this time. I thought I would be giving my abused hands a break but this was not to be so. I found myself making some interesting color choices based on which tubes I could open.

Physical challenges aside, that amazing feeling of paint brush on canvas was still there. There is something so soothing about it for me. I had forgotten how amazing that is. I love cutting filing and melting metal, don't get me wrong, but it can be rough work. Rough on my hands, my eyes and sometimes my whole body. The languid feeling of oils moving from brush to surface feels to me what yoga must feel to some people. I feel relaxed, centered and energised.    

Though I am not ready (and may never be) to show what I attempted, I decided to show you all my favorite painting that I ever did. Sort of a think of me at my best type deal. All in all, a good day.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment