Wednesday, March 14, 2012

About Pie on Pi Day

Well happy Pi Day! I hate math and used to hate pie but that changed recently. I have always considered myself to be a fruit purist. I never liked cooked, sugared or syrup like fruit. I have always loved fruit but in it's natural state. Even sweetened apple sauce is a no no for me. Because of this, I have never been a fan of pie. I had never even had it up until this past year. Yeah, you read that correctly. NEVER HAD PIE.


One night we went to the home of a friend (who happens to be a chef) for dinner and for dessert he made baked apples with a brown sugar pretzel topping. I ate it and it changed my world. So good was this dessert that it seriously opened up Pandora's box of baked fruit desserts. Next came cobbler and pie. All delicious! But my taste buds kept begging for that dessert that started it all. I finally did some googling, copied down some recipes and got to work. I have made this dessert 100 times, 100 different ways and it is always delicious. Below is the recipe I have come up with over the last few months, but I assure you, you do not have to follow this to a T to come up with an amazing dessert. It really is easy to make and you can't go wrong.


TOPPING:


1/4 cup pretzels, coarsely chopped
2 Tablespoons flour
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1-2 Tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon


THE REST:


2 (or about) large apples
1-2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons lime juice
1 Tablespoon flour
Dash O' Nutmeg
Dash O' Ground Ginger
Dash O' Ground Clove
Splash of Vanilla




Topping: Mix everything in a small bowl and set aside. Sooo very complicated :-)


The Rest: In a large bowl, mix everything other than the apples together. Peel apples (or don't, whatever you'd like) then evenly slice. Toss in the lime juice mixture until evenly coated. Lightly spray two ramekins or an appropriately sized baking dish with cooking spray then evenly arrange apple slices trying to keep them as flat and evenly layered as possible. Pour any remaining liquid onto the apple slices. Top apples with the topping and then back at 400 until apples are soft. Sorry that is as specific as I can be, I am lucky I have measurements....it is just not my style in the kitchen. I never time anything and pretty much bake everything at 400 degrees. But there it is.


You must must must serve this with frozen yogurt or ice cream!! I like plain tart frozen yogurt. It goes great with this sweet, tangy, salty, crunchy delicious dessert!


I know it is not pie  but make this tonight and then tell me how it went! Have a Happy Pi Day, whatever that entails.

No comments:

Post a Comment