Saturday, June 16, 2012

Hey There Sailor

On Wednesday, tall ships from all over the world began arriving to Baltimore's Inner Harbor for this weekends Star-Spangled Sailabration. The Blue Angels have been flying around downtown for days now in preparation for their shows this weekend along with tents being constructed all over that are bound to be filled with delicious and unhealthy foods. Fireworks are planned, because after all this is America. And to top it all off there are nearly 40 tall ships and navy vessels filling the Inner Harbor.

I got the best view of it all last night as I was lucky enough to take Ryleigh's Oyster Cruise aboard "Sigsbee", an Historic Skipjack built in 1906 and run by Living Classrooms (http://www.livingclassrooms.org/). The weather was perfect, time of day was beautiful and that night I seriously fell in love with Baltimore all over again. Not because of its quirks, which is usually what gets me enamored with this crazy place, but because of its beauty. Plain and Simple. This city was stunning.








When our harbor cruise ended and we docked, a girlfriend and I drove around to the other side of the city and were simply in awe of how lively it all was. The tall ships were lit up and people were out and about. Have I gone this far and not mentioned the sailors? Throngs of sailors everywhere! I personally am not a girl that goes slack jawed for sailors but I have to say it is quite a fun sight. It so reminds me of the old black and white homecoming photos of the 1950's. I do however know many a girl who cant seem to get a grip when men in those white uniforms are about. It was these ladies I had in mind when I made this necklace which is now available in my shop!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/102217188/hey-there-sailor-hand-stamped-sterling

I am sure no cities are celebrating the Bicentennial of the War of 1812 and the writing of the Star-Spangled Banner the way we are here if at all, but if you are around Baltimore this weekend, it really is something to see.


If you need more information on the Star-Spangled Sailabration go to http://www.starspangled200.com/index.php

To catch word of Ryleigh's next Oyster Cruise like them on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/RyleighsOyster

To learn more about Living Classrooms or to donate to this fantastic organization visit http://www.livingclassrooms.org/
 As always my website is www.heavenstobessie.com but you can also see what I am up to on Facebook (Heavens to Bessie Jewelry) and on both Twitter and Instagram (@heavenstobessie)

No comments:

Post a Comment